April’s Trailfoody has a Southwestern theme! All products this month are gluten free. Total calories: over 1,500.
- Huppybar Arizona Trail Wild Mesquite energy bar—We liked this bar so much, we decided to build a whole theme around it. This energy bar is reviewed by our tasters below.
- Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips—Here’s a unique take on the venerable tortilla chip. Flax, sunflower and sesame seeds give this chip a subtle nutty flavor.
- El Pinto medium salsa—This stuff is made in New Mexico, so it’s the real deal, and it comes in a size that’s perfect for an outdoor adventure.
- Nick’s Sticks spicy beef–These jalapeño-spiced beef sticks have some kick, and they’re made from grass-fed beef, which has almost 5 times more omega-3s than regular beef.
- Eden Foods dry roasted, organic pumpkin seeds–These organic pumpkin seeds are dry roasted and seasoned with sea salt. Mmmmmmm.
- Made in Nature Organic Fruit Fusion Superberry Blast–We were impressed with how fresh this organic berry and seed mix was. The cherries and cranberries impart a bright flavor, while the blueberries, raisins, and goji berries provide sweetness. Mix in some crunchy pepitas, and we’re sold.
- Felix Foods Almond Cherry Vanilla energy bar–This bar is brand new! The almonds, cherry and vanilla combine to give a refreshing, smooth flavor. It’s made from nutritious ingredients such as hemp, chia, flax, and green tea. It’s lightly sweetened with coconut nectar, and we like that it’s not overly sweet.
- Bobos Banana Chocolate Chip oat bar–This bar tastes just like banana bread! Plus, the slow-burning, organic oats will keep your furnace stoked for a sustained climb.
- BGood Bar Chia Blueberry energy bar–Save this one for the summit. This artisanal energy bar contains an orchestra of flavors including toasted cashews, walnuts, chia seeds, fair trade dark chocolate, and—of course—blueberries!
What the Tasters Said:
Huppybar AZT Mesquite Energy Bar
We liked this bar so much, we decided to build a whole theme around it. Ancient Southwestern cultures knew a good thing when they saw it. A staple for thousands of years, mesquite bean flour brings nourishment and an irresistibly unique flavor to this handcrafted bar. This bar is free of grain, gluten, soy, dairy, preservatives, refined sugars, and GMOs.
“It’s the official bar of the Arizona Trail. Enough said.”
—Grif Steele, Sunrise Chaser
“A trendsetter for sure, this bar is savory with just a hint of honey. It’s made from Arizona-grown ingredients such as mesquite bean flour, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and cashews.”
—Britt Foodlove, Ph.D. in Tacos al Pastor
“The people said there weren’t any leftovers.”
—Gracie, Trail Greeter